I was hoping for a solid plan (re: Baby B’s arrival) by the end of today, but it appears I’ll have to settle for a tentative one. I’ll take it.
This morning I had another Fetal Assessment. Baby B is still growing like a weed whose mother has Type 1 Diabetes. This past week I was running such tight bloodsugars that I could have been mistaken for a non-diabetic some days, yet her growth rate has continued on it’s (too) steep path. They estimate that she’s 8 lbs 10 oz by now (her sister was 8 lbs 9 oz when delivered at 36 weeks and 1 day), but there’s a fair bit of room for error in that estimate (I’m told it’s a pound in either direction).
So…I was “treated” to an amniocentesis to check for lung maturity. For those who don’t know, an amnio involves a long needle being inserted into the abdomen to take a sample amniotic fluid. Honestly, it sounds nastier than it is. The procedure itself wasn’t bad. But I could have done without the pinching and cramping that carried on for the remainder of the day as my uterus reminded me how it feels about being stabbed. (Just wait until next week, uterus….)
By the end of the day I had the results of the amnio. The options were “absent” (i.e. indicators of lung maturity weren’t there – wait a bit and come back for another amnio), “present” (i.e. lungs are mature, baby’s good to go, get her out) or “trace” (i.e. indicators of lung maturity are starting to show, wait a week and take her out). Baby B ranked as “trace”, so she’s getting there!
With that in mind, my OB is aiming to schedule me for a c-section in a week, which is next Friday, April 6th (yep, that’s Good Friday). If he can’t get me in on Friday, it’ll be on Thursday, but then he’s unavailable to do it himself, so I really really hope he can make Friday work. He’s planning on scheduling me for first thing in the morning so that I can do the fasting thing overnight and then get it over with. The actual scheduling with the hospital will take place on Tuesday, so until then Friday is only tentative. My OB was pretty optimistic about Friday working out, but then again, Dr. Awesome is optimistic about everything, so I guess we’ll see.
So this is good news in a number of ways:
1. I have another few days next week to wrap up the last things I wanted to do before Baby B’s arrival.
2. I will still be done being pregnant by the end of next week. (Because seriously, this diabetes and pregnancy thing is something I am ready to put behind me for good.)
3. Baby B’s lungs should be sufficiently mature by the time she’s born, greatly increasing her chances of coming home from the hospital when I’m discharged, rather than having an extended stay like her older sister did.
So I’m happy! 🙂