12 of 12 was created by Chad Darnell (you can find his website and a bunch of 12 of 12 links here), and has bloggers worldwide taking 12 photos throughout the day on the 12th day of each month.
If you missed them, you can check out my 12 of 12 for previous months here!
And now on to a little background for this month’s 12. November 12th (yesterday) was a Friday. Normally on Fridays I’m home with my daughter. But this Friday was a gotta-get-lots-done Friday, so I sent her to daycare and I spent the day running around. The thought of hauling my big camera around on all my errands really wasn’t appealing at all, so this month’s 12 are brought to you courtesy of my Blackberry camera. I actually really enjoyed the convenience of using a camera phone, so I may do this again in future months!
Anyway….here they are!
1. The day started out with me forgetting to bolus with breakfast. Damn. Here’s me taking a late bolus. For those of you not familiar with diabetes-speak, the above gadget is an insulin pump. I’m connected to it all the time, and it gives me insulin just like a pancreas – except that I have to tell it how much to give me…and when. I kind of missed the “when” part of that at breakfast, causing a pretty swift spike in my bloodsugar, which in turn resulted in a groggy (and grumpy) me. Don’t worry, I got it all under control.
2. At this point I was already running a bit later than I’d hoped. I wanted to get out the door by 7:30 am, but it was more like 8:00 am already. So I wasn’t exactly impressed with having to scrape a thick layer of frost/ice off all of the car windows. Although, I probably should have anticipated needing to do this, given that it’s mid-November and I live in Winnipeg. (To be fair, it’s not really “winter” yet, but the caption sounded better with three w’s rather than a “wfw”. Oh no…in writing “wfw” have I just inadvertently used some sort of terribly inappropriate internet acronym?)
3. I’m notorious for impulse buys. Not notorious among the general public, but among my family. Okay, among my husband. Anyway, today’s impulse buy was cheap. It was this nifty gadget (did I really just say “nifty”?) for draining canned tuna, veggies, or fruit. I was honestly just thinking on Thursday that I needed a better way to drain fruit cans! Yes, that sounds facetious, but it isn’t! I really was! I blend and freeze canned fruit for my daughter, and if there’s too much juice left in it it’s way too runny, so this is really going to come in handy!
4. After forgetting to take my life-sustaining medication with breakfast, running behind schedule, and having to scrape the car windows on a chilly morning, I also ended up having to do my grocery shopping sans grocery list. It was simply nowhere to be found….until I got home and found it folded neatly on the counter, just where I left it. *Sigh.* But guess what? Apparently my memory is fantastic, because I remembered to get everything on it (plus the above-noted “nifty” gadget)! Yay me!
5. My next stop was the mall for a few winter wardrobe items…including this sweater! The colour and the the texture totally won me over.
6. One of my favourite stores – RW & Co! They just recently opened up a few locations in Winnipeg. Finally!
7. I had a hair appointment at 12:30, and didn’t exactly leave time for lunch, so I picked up this mediterranean salad with chicken at the food court at the mall and ate part of it in the car in the parking lot and part of it during my hair appointment. The salad came from Cultures. It, plus a water bottle, cost me over 12 dollars. Over 12 dollars for a food court salad and water! But it ended up totally being worth it. It was so good, and so fresh…and huge too (the picture doesn’t do it justice)! I’m pretty sure there was almost a whole chicken breast in it. In spite of the cost, I’d definitely get it again.
At this point I spent a couple of hours in the salon, getting a trim and some new highlights. I tried to take a picture of the new hair, but it didn’t turn out (the hair did, the picture didn’t). Then I went back to the mall for some stuff I ran out of time for in my first round. On my way out I saw a guy get pinned to the ground by another guy, and a bunch of security guards rushing in their direction. No picture of that either.
8. Last week was the “fall-back” time change, so now it’s getting dark early. This was taken at 4:15 pm. I love the sun, so this time of year gets me down a bit.
9. The low-fuel light went on in the car on the drive home, so I stopped for some gas. Exciting, eh? No, that’s not my truck.
10. Last stop before supper was the liquor store for a little gift for my husband. He’s been doing a lot at home lately while I’ve been really busy with work, plus both our daughter and I have been sick. I wanted to get him a little thank-you, and what says “thank you” better than whiskey?
11. After supper I made a quick stop at Costco for some things. These big boxes of Smarties made my bloodsugar go up just looking at them! Who needs that much chocolate?! I mean really!! For the record, our Smarties in Canada are not the same as your Smarties in the U.S. Our Smarties are way better! They’re candy-covered chocolate. Like M&Ms only better. So good!
12. The last stop of the day was Home Outfitters. It was a bust, though. They had nothing of what I needed. Bah.
I ended my day by watching a couple of PVR’ed shows with my hubby and then hitting the hay early. All that running around was exhausting!
That’s it for this month!