1. Today I made these pancakes for breakfast:
They are not low-carb. Oh no, not even close. But they are gluten-free, and they are tasty and they do taste very much like regular pancakes. I highly recommend them for the gluten-free crowd. I ate them with this:
It is low carb and it is tasty and I recommend it too! Yum! Not a “typical” breakfast for me (and not about to become one, since I put back about 60g of high-GI carbs), but definitely a nice long-weekend treat!
2. We have an abundance of apples these days, thanks to two very productive apple trees in our backyard. I’m hoping to make some applesauce with some of these apples – either unsweetened or with a bit of Splenda. If anyone has any other good low(ish) carb (preferably gluten-free) ideas, let me know!
3. Still on the topic of food, has anyone ever noticed how much better the raisins in a box of Raisin Bran taste than regular raisins? Why is that? Is it the coating that sticks to them from being in the box with the flakes or do they candy-coat them somehow? I suppose this likely makes the raisins non-gluten-free, but I’m kind of a half-assed gluten-avoider. I know, I know…not the right way to do it. But, to my knowledge I don’t have celiac – I just know I feel better if I don’t eat wheat in large (or even moderate) quantities. Small quantities don’t seem to bother me, so I’m not going hard-core with it. I realize there are holes in this approach, but let’s not get into it mmmkay? 😉
4. I had an appointment with the endo this week. There wasn’t much to report, so no full post about it, but I did find out three interesting things: (1) my A1c came down to 6.8, which means it’s finally back out of the 7s in spite of the plague that our family endured this summer, so I’m pumped, (2) my thyroid is back to normal after the pregnancy (just had a small blip at my last appointment, which is apparently normal for women with diabetes within the first year of having a baby), and (3) my endo lives just down the street from me! Crazy! My OB also lives within walking distance, so I suppose if we do have another baby and have any issues, we’re covered! 🙂 I wonder where my ophtho lives…
5. I have made the switch from the OneTouch UltraSmart to the Contour USB meter and I’m loving it!! So loving it! Full review to follow at a later date…
6. Tomorrow I go for my first full acupuncture treatment. My massage therapist is also my acupuncturist, so she’s done a few spots here and there during massage treatments before, but tomorrow is full acupuncture. I’m hoping maybe she’ll be able to do something to fix my seemingly constant dehydration which does not seem to be fixed by the obvious suggestion of “drink more”, as that simply leads to the resulting “pee more”. If my body can actually hold on to fluid better, I’m hoping to have more luck with the CGMS again! Maybe this is a pipe dream, but I feel like it’s worth a try!
7. This coming Friday is my husband’s and my 5th wedding anniversary! I can’t believe we’ve been married for 5 years! Crazy how time flies! I guess that means we’re having fun! 🙂
8. Is it just me or is So You Think You Can Dance Canada a lot cheesier than the U.S. version? I mean, the dancing’s just as good, but the judges are so full of cheese it makes me crave fondue! (Sorry, was that too cheesy of a pun?) And it’s like they’re scared to tell the dancers when they did a crappy job. Maybe they’ve been instructed to stick to the “polite Canadian” routine. Don’t get me wrong – I’m still a fan of the show and I still will watch it and wish I was a dancer – but I have to admit that it’s gotten a bit too Stepford Wives for my liking…
9. On Friday I took the baby and the dog for a walk. We had stopped for the dog to..uh…”relieve himself” and a car of teenage boys drives by with one of them hanging out the window. He yells, “Hey! Hello!…….Milk!!” “Milk?” I think…. What? And then I realized, not “Milk” – “MILF!” I know, crass and rude, right? But it still put a smile on my face. 🙂
10. For you locals, Apidra insulin will be covered by Manitoba Health as of September 9th. Just sayin’…
11. Lastly, I need to warn you that we are having computer problems lately. Unfortunately I can’t guarantee that Me With D won’t have a sudden “quiet period” if and when the computer goes in to be fixed. Hopefully I can let you know before that happens, but it’s hard to say. So forgive me if I seem to have abandoned you briefly at some point! I’ll be back!
That’s it from me for this long weekend! Have a good one!