This is one of those posts that’s more about the “Me” than the “D”. I’m trying to limit the “mommy blogging” that I do, but May is a special month for me for two reasons, so I’m going to allow myself to blog about my kid at least a little bit.
Reason #1 – My daughter was born in May 2009, so we are nearing her first birthday! It’s amazing how fast the time goes! These days I often find myself thinking back to how things were a year ago at this time:
- I was huge! Not just big, but HUGE! I gained about 50 lbs with my pregnancy, thanks to pre-eclampsia and the resulting water weight. I was so, soooo puffy.
- Because of #1 above, my feet were terribly swollen and terribly uncomfortable. I was sporting the oh-so-sexy compression socks, which I needed my husband to put on for me every morning because I couldn’t reach my feet.
- I was going to so many doctor’s appointments that I should have been considered “part-time” at work. Paying my regular visits to my prenatal healthcare team was seriously like a second job!
- I could see clearly. Wow. That was great! Now with my stringy, globby, cloudy mess in my left eye, and the peripheral trickle in my right, clear vision is a distant memory.
- I hadn’t yet met my sweet little girl who has changed my life in such profound ways. She was still baking away inside of me, and I was dreaming of getting to know her in a few short weeks, both excited and terrified of the journey we were about to embark on.
Reason #2 – May 2010 is going to be all about family! For the whole month of May, both my husband and I are off work to spend time with our little girl! (For the benefit of those of you who aren’t Canadian, in Canada we are entitled to 12 months of maternity/parental leave and they can be split between the parents in whatever way we decide.) I have taken 11 months of maternity/parental leave, but for the next six weeks I’m still on “vacation”, and now my husband is on parental leave for a month! I’m really looking forward to a month of quality time spent as a family – trips to the park and the zoo, playing outside, going for walks, and just enjoying this really fun stage that our daughter is currently in! She’s so close to walking now, so hopefully we can both be around to observe her first steps! It’s such a fantastic opportunity! We’re so very lucky!
So that’s why I like May! Yay!