3 Years, 10 Weeks and 2 Days

Today my oldest daughter (“The Kid”) is 3 years, 10 weeks and 2 days old.

So?

That’s how old I was the day I was diagnosed with diabetes.

I hate to consider the possibility that either of my girls will end up with diabetes.  I know we could handle it if they did – goodness knows we have plenty of experience with diabetes at our house – but I still shudder to think of the needles, the scary nypos, the parent-free trips to the playground, the sleepovers at a friend’s house, the potential complications…etc, etc.  In other words, I don’t want to put myself in my parents’ shoes, even if only in my imagination.  And I don’t want to find out how much I’ll blame my own flawed genes if they do.

My understanding is that my girls have a 2% chance of developing Type 1 diabetes since it’s me (i.e. their mother) who has the disease.  (The probability is different when the father has it.)  That equates to a 98% chance that they will be diabetes-free (Type 1, anyway).  Those are good odds.  My preference is to take comfort in these numbers rather than dwell on the negative possibilities, but it’s impossible to wipe out that worry entirely.  (PS – If I’m wrong about these statistics, please don’t feel the need to correct me.  This may be one of those “ignorance is bliss” situations.)

I often see posts written by parents with diabetes about their fears that their children will also end up with the disease.  Scott wrote a great post about it just the other day.  If you follow Scott, you may have seen my comment.  If not (you should), this was my comment:

“I can so totally relate to being scared of this. In fact, I choose not to think about it, and didn’t even read your whole post b/c of it. (I skimmed.) I can’t let these thoughts enter my mind or I’d go crazy. I was 3 when I was diagnosed. The Kid is 3 now…”

I liked his response:

It’s crazy how we tend to fit our own diagnosis ages into the probability equation. I keep telling myself that I was diagnosed at 7, so my kid’s got a couple of “free” years to go before he needs to worry about it. I also think that if he makes it D-free to 8, he’s in the clear. The practical side of me tells me that thinking is absurd (it is), but the thoughts still linger.

He’s right, of course.

But today still gives me the willies.

4 responses to this post.

  1. Yeah. and I don’t even have kids right now. I look at my sweet little niece and nephew though. I watch them and I know in the back of my mind I worry for them.
    I wouldn’t wish type 1 diabetes on my worst enemy.
    its hard to make yourself think otherwise.

    Reply

  2. Posted by Sylvie on August 3, 2012 at 3:15 pm

    Totally understand…I have the goose bumps to prove it too :)
    I think you are on the right track (in terms of thinking) to keep sane.
    I keep reminding myself, that at this precise point, “we” are OK, and that is what I focus on :)

    Reply

  3. Posted by Anais on August 3, 2012 at 4:24 pm

    Same here! I have a 9 month old and when i just have the thought if her getting TD1 it gives me a stomach ache! I try not to think about it. My Endo assured me that her chances of getting it are the same as any other kid. He told me this when I brought up the idea of having a second baby. He said in these exact words “keep the babies coming!” I also asked her pediatrician and she also assured me the same thing as my Endo. I believe my doctors especially when the answer to my questions are exactly what I want to hear. Above all… My faith keeps me thinking that my beautiful Liani will be healthy and happy!

    Reply

  4. I was just scrolling through your blog and this caught my eye. You ARE correct about the 2% chance from everything I have read and heard. I also have the same worries about my kids. I was 18 months when I was diagnosed and my kids are 15 and 6. I know the chances are so small that they will become T1 but I still argue with my husband about what they eat. He has a sweet tooth and so do they but I tell him it has to be limited because what will happen if they become diabetic and are used to eating cake, candy, chocolate all the time.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 587 other followers

%d bloggers like this: